Saturday, September 26, 2009

300 - Day 61 - More WOD torture

Today's workout - Angie.

I've been actually quite excited about this workout - but simultaneously thinking I'm not ready.

100 pull-ups
100 push-ups
100 sit-ups
100 squats

Crossfit knows how to punish you. My abs are still burning from the GHDs yesterday and now I have 100 more sit-ups to do as quickly as possible after using my abs to steady myself in the prone (push-up) position. Not to mention, I haven't even come near mastering kipping yet - I can hardly even do it well enough to gain any type of advantage from it - so with that in mind, 100 pull-ups is a lot of pull-ups.

Also, its a weekend - so I don't have a gym or chin-up bar available - which means I had to find a make-shift alternative.

So, I went to the local park to do my pull-ups on the swing set and jungle gym. The jungle gym is a little too low so that I have to pick my feet up - and the swing, high enough so that I can barely catch the bar jumping - which of course causes extra work.

I warmed up with a 1/3 mile or so jog (unmeasured), 8 pull-ups, 10 push-ups and a lot of stretching and rotations.

I did my first 23 pull-ups in one go on the swing. I rested a little and jumped up and got out 10 more. 1/3 of the way there and only a little over a minute in. But that was about the end of my pull-up speed. It took me over 14 minutes to complete my pull-ups. I alternated between the jungle gym and the swing set.. it was hard to get anything but an overhand grip on the swing - so I used the jungle gym to try underhand, neutral grip, etc. But nothing allowed me to knock out any more than 5 or so at a time after the first 33. In fact, my last 3 pull-ups were all sets of 1. However, I did them all either strict or kipping - no jumping pull-ups.

Once I finally finished these, I dropped and knocked out 40 push-ups. Rested about 10 seconds and knocked out 20 more. The first 60 took me just over a minute, rest included. After that was a little bit slower though - taking about 3 minutes to do all 100.

The sit-ups slowed me down dramatically though - only being able to get 25 out before my first rest - I knew that was going to be a long, hard journey. In groups of between 5 and 15 I finished out the rest of the sit-ups at around 24 minutes. I knocked out 25 squats in a go, followed by a short break and 15 more, another short rest and 10 more. 1 more set of those like that and I'm done.

I ended up finishing in 27:36. Slow compared to regular crossfitters - but I finished - though I know I'll regret it tomorrow. Just driving after this workout was brutal. My forearms are iced.

No comments:

Post a Comment