Friday, September 4, 2009

300 - Day 38 - Mile TT

Mile time trial. Very slight improvement only. 6:00.75 or so. So about a 2 second improvement over Day 13. I've started looking at the Crossfit endurance site which is aimed at distance athletes who want to train using Crossfit principles. In addition to the WOD posted at www.crossfit.com, they prescribe short exercises aimed at your particular sport. The philosophies they follow are very in line with the ideas that turned me on to Crossfit in the first place, so I am going to start doing some of their exercises as well.

Before I start doing that, I am going to finish my current schedule - but also switch to what I have found is the standard Crossfit split of 3 on 1 off. I may even start following the main site WOD as often as I have the proper equipment available.

So after finishing my 1 mile TT, I had 2 more 800s to do. Well, I only finished 1 and it took me 3:26. Man was I tired after that mile. The first 1/2 of the 800 was right on the dot 1:30 - which is the same pace I ran my mile at and what I was aiming for. That makes the second half near 2 minutes. The good news is that at 3:26, I would still have been on pace to pass my 2 mile run in 13 minutes or less (less by 8 seconds). However, bad news is that if my performance in the second half of the 800 was a good indicator of what the rest of my time would have looked like, my last 800 would have been 4 minutes, and I would have missed my goal by about 56 seconds.

Granted, if I can control myself I like to run the first mile a but slower than that to conserve my energy - so I guess we'll see where I stand another day.

The warm-up for this had been:
1 mile bike ride + 1/4 mile jog
No additional exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment