Thursday, September 3, 2009

300 Day 37 - Bench Work

So for day 37, when I went to actually do the workout, I thought that 1) the workout seemed a little too isolated and that 2) it really didn't sound that hard. Here is what I had in mind at the time:
12, 9, 6 of the following:
Bench Press (bodyweight - 185)
Dips
Push-ups

So when I got to the gym, I made the last minute decision to add pull-ups just after the bench. Now I'm thinking this should have been a substitute exercise.
At the end of my first "set", when I was on about my 11th push-up and wondering if I was going to get the 12th in or not, I realized it had probably been a bad idea.

So I took a slightly longer rest than I otherwise would during a Crossfit workout, maybe 2-3 minutes or so. But still, I didn't get the 4th rep up on the bench. I had to rack it, drop the weight down to 135 and pick up where I left off. Even with the weight change, it was still difficult to finish.

I think this just goes to show that too much isolation work makes it impossible to train effectively and efficiently. When I did Linda using bodyweight bench, I was able to complete a total 55 repetitions by alternating a chest workout with full-body movements. Isolating my work to the specific region, I was only able to complete 15 repetitions with the same weight.

I'm going to try avoiding the same mistake in future workouts. If I really want to do a "chest" workout, then I will do the classical gym style workout, with x reps of y weight, followed by z minutes of rest. Complete b sets of a single exercise and then move to another exercise. However, I probably won't work that in any time soon - but for isolation exercises, I would say you can get more out of it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment