Wednesday, September 9, 2009

300 - Day 43 - 12-9-6, Squat, DB Bench, Dead Lift

So for today's workout, the plan was 12,9,6 of Squat, Dumbbell Bench Press and Dead Lift.
I decided to do one workout, complete all sets/reps and then move to the next exercise, only because I didn't want to have to take the one Olympic bar that I had available on and off the rack between the squats and the dead lifts.

I started off with:
1000m C2 Row (4:25.1)
20 Push-Ups
25 Sit-Ups
10 Dips
15 Squats

I then moved into my squats.

For my 12, 9, 6 I did:
175, 225, 275 respectively.

After completing, I wanted to go heavier - I had wanted to go heavier for the 6, but wasn't sure how I would handle it. But I felt good after the 6 on 275 so I decided to add an additional set of 3 on each my exercises. So I stacked on 305 and did 3 reps.

For the Dumbbell Bench Press, I used the following weights:
35, 45, 55, 70 (weight for one hand).
This was pretty nice. When I was at the gym in KY this summer that got me turned on to crossfit, I remember sitting on the bench there with dumbbell bench press, trying to get 2x75 up and being unable to. These 70s felt pretty easy and I am quite sure I could have hit 80 (I have no 75s available or I may have tried).

Dead Lifts:
145, 185, 275, 275

I didn't get any heavier for my last set, because my forearms were giving out and I was unable to keep the bar in my grip for a heavier weight - I even had to use an alternating grip on this. Please comment if you have a suggestion on how to help with this (other than bar straps - obvious, but also undesired). If I were to do Linda as Rx'd, I would have to use 275 for the DL - and I really don't think I could complete 55 reps of this weight at this time. Granted, when I did the DB Bench, the bench immediately next to the DB rack was occupied, so I was farmer carrying them across the room to the bench at the barbell rack - but mixing the DL with a BB Bench (okay - not much grip involved) and a Clean would wreak havoc on my forearms - especially with a 135 clean (as Rx'd). I have some work to do before I can attempt that one. Maybe on my next attempt I can hit Rx for BB Bench and Clean and maybe go 125% BW for the DL (83.3% of the Rx'd load) at 225.

I cooled down with 1/4 run and called it a day - though I had considered a regular press to even out my upper and lower body - but my workout was already nearing an hour and my lunch time was about up.

No comments:

Post a Comment