Friday, September 18, 2009

300 - Day 53 - Front Squat PR

Well, it wasn't hard to get a PR in the front squat - this is the first time I have done them. I learned that I am extremely unflexible. It should be that during a front squat that your humerus (upper arm) is about parallel with the floor, with your forearm at an angle. Instead, my forearms were about perpendicular to the ground, with my upper arm hardly breaking an angle from perpendicular. I guess thats one of the benefits of the front squat is that it should help with that (eventually).

My workout today couldn't come from the main site, because they decided on Glute-Ham sit-ups and back extensions - and I don't have a station available for these exercises. So instead I browsed back through the archives and finally decided on the 3-3-3-3-3 front squats - after carefully eyeing the 1 squat, 1 shoulder press, 1 deadlift - I eventually decided that since I am rather unsure of what my 1 rep max weights are for these exercises - and I wasn't working out with a buddy if I picked too much weight, it was best to avoid for now.

So I warmed up as follows:
1000m row (3:56.1)
2 sets of the following:
10 push-ups
10 sit-ups
10 pull-ups
10 squats
10 dips

I then racked the bar and started loading weights for the front squats. I spent some time on StrongLifts.com the other day looking at the proper technique for the front squat, so I felt pretty comfortable.

I started pretty light for a squat - I don't know if this was really the goal for this workout or not - or perhaps I should have loaded them on relatively heavy and creeped up from there. However, I thought it better to start light and work on my form before going heavy - and then I could work my way up in leaps.

So I stacked 2x45# for a 135# Front Squat - and accidentally knocked out 4 of those before stopping myself. I guess its good to spend a little more time familiarizing with a light weight - but I'll have to get used to these low rep sets.

So here is what I ended up doing:

135 - 4
185 - 3
205 - 3
225 - 3
250 - 3

I think on the 250 one of my reps could have been a bit lower (the first one), but made sure to correct that on the subsequent 2 reps - though, really I think I was only going to about parallel - and from the reading I had done on these (and the pictures I had looked at), it looks like you would generally go lower. Front squats are not particularly comfortable - causing discomfort in my wrists, forearm and clavicles. I imagine this improves as you get used to it (and especially as your arm flexibilty increases).

After I finished these, I decided I wanted to do some lunges - I really haven't done these since starting crossfit. So I grabbed a 45# plate and held it over my head and did stationary alternating lunges - 3 sets of 10 per leg. I ought to feel that later if I can get to my run make-up tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment