Monday, September 21, 2009

300 - Day 56 - WOD

So the main site finally had a WOD that I could participate in.
Today's workout:
Shoulder press 1-1-1-1-1 reps
Push press 3-3-3-3-3 reps
Push Jerk 5-5-5-5-5 reps

I had not ever done the Push Jerk before, so I went to crossfit.com in the videos section and watched a couple of videos on it.

They didn't really specify how close to your PR you should get for each of these, so I decided to work my way up and try and find my PR for each - as I honestly just don't know for any of them. My shoulders have never been particularly strong - and I figure a 135 shoulder press was pretty good for me previously. Looking through my logs, I never really used more than 115 for a shoulder press - and then it looks like 10 reps was about all I had (last logged in March - I have done dumbbell presses since then).

I warmed up with the following:
1000m row (3:52)
20 push-ups
25 sit-ups
10 pull-ups
15 squats

I then started light on my shoulder presses, starting with 95. Rather than racking at shoulder level, I racked the bar at knee level for loading - un-racked and then hang-cleaned to the starting position. Here's what I ended up doing:

95-105-125-135-155

Even the last 155 felt pretty good - and I am pretty confident I could have pushed out 165 - but either way, so far as I have recollection that is a pretty big jump in my PR. So anyway, I dropped the weight back down to 115 for the push-press and started over again - accidentally knocking out 5 on the first set. So for the push press I used the following:

115(5),125,135,155,165

Now, I don't do much for push-press, usually opting for the barbell thruster, which is still similar - so I would say this is also a PR - and since I knocked all 3 out, I know I could have gone higher if it was only 1 rep for a PR. Even for the thrusters, I don't know that I have ever done over 135 - though I was doing higher reps.

Now, of course the Push Jerk was a PR as I have never done it before. I used the following weights:

115,135,145,155(3f),135

I knocked out 3 reps of 155 and failed on rep 4. Dropped the weight back to 135 and finished off. I can already tell my shoulders will be sore tomorrow.

I decided to cool down with 12 good full range dips to stretch my shoulders out.

So anyway, 3 new PRs:
Shoulder Press: 155
Push Press: 165
Push Jerk: 155

I had planned on finding some PRs today if the WOD didn't fit my gym, or couldn't be reasonably modded - shoulder press, squat and deadlift. So i got one of these out of the way anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment