Monday, August 3, 2009

300 - Day 6

What happened to days 2-5?

Well, I came down with a cold and ended up taking days 3-5 off. I didn't post on Day 2, despite that I did work out, just because I didn't manage to find the time. I probably should have skipped out on my workout for Day 2 as well, as I was already feeling under the weather - but I wanted to get started. I took the next 3 days off because the way I see it, its better to have a couple days of rest and be able to get back to work at 100% than it is to get those 3 days in, only being able to get in a 70% workout and perhaps delaying my 100% recovery.

Good news is, during my time off I did manage to get to the store and get a kettle bell!

So anyway, alibi accounted for - what did I come up with?

Here is a recap of what I would like to get in for workouts:
Bi-weekly 1 mile run time trial
Weekly Row workout
Forearms three times weekly
Dead Lifts weekly

I also decided that once every three weeks I will try to complete one of "the girls". The Girls are the challenges popular in Cross Fit named with girl names.

The first challenge I will attempt is called Chelsea which consists of the following:
5 pull-ups
10 push-ups
15 squats
Complete the above every minute on the minute for 20 minutes or until you fail to complete a set.

I chose this as the first workout, simply because you can't fail to complete. Your score is simply based on the number of successfully complete sets.

My workout plan for weeks 1 and 2 was as follows:

Day 1 - Rest
Day 2 - 20 minute row
Day 3 - 135 # Dead lift + Shrug + Calf Raise
3 sets of Burpees, 1 minute/1 minute rest
3 sets of pull-ups alternating 3 sets of dips max reps
(Forearms at night)
Day 4 - 1 mile run time-trial
3 sets max push-ups
3 sets of 20 bodyweight squats
(Forearms at night)
Day 5 - Rest
Day 6 - Dumbbell Bench Press (incline) 55 # each hand
Pull-ups
Alternate the above 2 events X 5 for max reps
Day 7 - Dumbbell Clean and Press
Floor Wipers
Weighted Captains Chair
Dips
Each of the above in sequence for max reps; 1 minute rest; 3 sets
(Forearms at night)

Day 8 - Rest
Day 9 - 500m Row
Max Pull-Ups
Alternate above X4; timed
Day 10 - 10x Barbell Thruster
135# Dead lift, 3 Sets of Max Reps; 1 minute rest
Day 11 - 1 mile Run time-trial
Forearms
Day 12 - Kettlebell Workout
Day 13 - Rest
Day 14 - Squats
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Walking Lunge
Pull-ups
3 Sets of the above in sequence

I completed Day 2s workout. I rowed for 20 minutes and rowed a total of 4756 meters. At that pace I was about on course for a 21 minute 5000m. Looks like a 20 minute 5000m will be a good goal for week 4.

I missed days 3, 4 and 5 - of course, as you can see day 5 is a rest day - so I didn't miss out on too much - only 2 workouts which I may be able to make up.

Today, I made up the workout for Day 4. I completed my 1600m (1 mile) run in 6:16.
I also completed the following:
60 Push-Ups
20 Bodyweight squats
35 Push-ups
20 Bodyweight squats
25 Push-ups
20 Bodyweight squats

Total: 120 Push-ups and 60 Bodyweight squats.
Not too bad for a start, still feeling only at about 90%.

Tomorrow (Day 7) I will pick up at Day 6 and complete Day 7's workout on Day 8 which was scheduled as a rest day. This leaves me only 1 workout behind.

That's the plan for now. I'll try to come up with a workout plan for week 3 and post that with the results from tomorrow's workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment