Wednesday, July 29, 2009

300 - Day 1

So how did I fare? The following is the break down. I will name the exercise, followed by the total number I had completed at the end of each set:

Pull-Ups - 24,25
135# Deadlift - 17,30,40,50
Push-Ups - 50
Box-Jumps - 10,25,40,50
Floor Wipers - 15, 26
Stop.

Now let me start here by saying that I COULD have continued, physically. I stopped for a few reasons. So far as the Clean and Press, I didn't have a kettlebell available - I had planned to swap it for a dumbbell. Also, I was under a time-constraint, as I happen to be lucky enough to work somewhere that has a (free) gym in our building - so I was working out on my lunch break, which was running out of time. Lastly, but probably not the least reason that I decided to stop - I was exhausted.

I'm not making excuses - the punishment I gave myself made me want to stop. My breathing was similar to what I can recall during high-school track at the end of any of my mid-distance events (400m,800m,1600m). I was sweating like I would be at the end of a 5K on a hot day. It was gruelling. I could have continued, but I was ready enough to stop that my time constraint was reason enough.

So as I mentioned in my last blog, my first step in determining my training needs is to identify my weaknesses. From my results above, I can make note of a few things:


  • My maximum sets occured in my deadlift and box jumps.
  • I obviously stopped (not even) half-way through the floor-wipers.
  • Had I finished the floor wipers at the rate I was going, it would have been 4-5 sets.

In addition to what the number above tell me, I can say that:


  • My trapezius (shoulder/neck) muscles are sore.
  • My forearms are sore, namely the flexor carpi radialis.
  • My gluteus maximus (butt) muscles are sore.
  • The very bottom of my latissimus dorsi (back - namely, lower back) are sore.
  • I can very faintly feel that my hamstrings are sore - but really only when I tighten them.

Lastly, from my own observations during the challenge I can say that:


  • My pull-up form was sloppy. I was trying to use the official CrossFit "kipping pull-up" to my advantage, which backfired. I probably could have gotten all 25 in a go doing regular no-kipping pull-ups; or if I had good form on the kipping version, I would also easily have gotten all 25. Therefore, I need to 1) find out if kipping is allowed in this particular event and 2) if it is, work on my kipping pull-up form.
  • If no kipping is allowed, I will need to work on my pull-ups - I was pretty drained after the first 25.
  • My stamina was not as good as I had expected.
  • I need more practice on the floor wipers
  • My forearms getting tired were largely responsible for my high set count in the dead-lift.


So far as my strengths go, again looking at the numbers I can say:


  • Push-ups need the least work, I got all 50 with no problem.
  • Pull-ups were my second strongest exercise.


I can also note that my abdominals are not sore, despite my poor performance in the wipers - which means that the performance here could possibly have been due to my over-all stamina at that point in the exercise. Either way, I will work on those.

The resolve
Clearly, I need a plan. I have a few muscle groups that I have named which feel I need to work. Luckily, all of them can be targeted specifically with the rowing machine - subtract perhaps the forearms.
Luckily, forearm exercises can be done right at home with dumbbell forearm curls.

I think the main concern here is that I need to start hitting the gym more - but since work is busy and I currently only make it to the gym 2-3 times a week, I clearly need to step it up. I think my best solution is to improve my at-home gym so that I am not limited to finding time while at work, which doesn't always work (like today).

Currently I have the following at home:
Jump Rope
2x 25# Dumbbell
2x 8# Dumbbell
Exercise Ball
Exercise Bands
Ab Roller
Mountain Bike

In addition, I have a bike trail nearby (3/4 mile) my house which is 6 miles round-trip. This can also be used for running.
I have a mile loop for running starting from my front door.

Here is a list of things that I think I will need:
Pull-up bar
Kettlebell, 36# (will need this for the challenge anyway)
Grip exerciser that I can use anytime at home
24" Box for jumping

I think I can focus on dead-lifts and other similar exercise for olympic style weights when I have time to hit the gym. Otherwise, I can use a combination of the above equipment to do body-weight exercises at home along with event-specific routines.

I'm going to need to up my exercise routine to 5 days a week.

My plan is currently to have tomorrow be my first day in the gym. Before I can start doing a lot at home, I'm going to need a gym make-over - luckily I have a birthday coming up on the 6th - so I think I'll treat myself to all the above named goodies.

I'm going to try to work my forearms 3-4 days a week at home, as I think that particular weakness gave me a very big disadvantage. This I can start tonight.
Also, I think I will do a bi-weekly time-trial on the 1600m (1 mile) to see how my stamina is improving.

So far as running goes, I will focus on High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), such as 1/4 mile repeats, fartleks, or even 200m sprints. This should help drastically with the stamina.

I also want to get a rowing workout in once a week, with timed trials on the 500m and 5000m.

I would like to work on deadlifts once a week before my night-time forearm development routine (thats the fore-arm dumbbell curls), which I think will maximize those results.

I'll work on my plan for tonight and post my 3 week scheduled for tomorrow, as well as do my first workout routine, leaving today for forearm work and recovery.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment