Saturday, March 3, 2012

March 1, 2012 - New Format

So my new format for workouts comes from my gym - CrossFit 321 (www.crossfit321.com). I'm trying to use the same format for my own workouts:

Warm-Up
Strength
Met-Con

The warm-up for March 1 was:
1000m row (3:55)
10 Over-Head Squats (OHS) w/ 45# bar
10 Hand Release Push-Ups
3 pistols per leg

For my strength, I made it a squat day, 4 sets of 5 reps:
135#, 225#, 275#, 315#

These were all "ass-to-grass" variety, meaning, I went down as low as I could, basically to where your butt is in-line with your ankles. I don't go this low with my heaviest lifts - for those I go just below parallel, but with my lighter weights I try to go as low as possible, so that as my max weight improves, I can do my previous maxes with this type of depth.

I would typically do (for MadCow) 5x5 starting at 225#, and working up to, e.g. 435# (on my last workout) - but although I have had some great success, I am breaking from that format in favor of a metcon based workout, as that is my current weakness.

My metcon was as follows:

21 Double Unders
21 DeadLifts (225#)
3/4 mile run
15 Double Unders
15 DeadLifts (225#)
1/2 mile run
9 Double Unders
9 DeadLifts (225#)
1/4 mile run

I don't have my times currently, but the first round was ~9 minutes even, and the second was pretty close to the same. My full time ended up being just over 23 minutes, right in the range of 5 minutes. This workout was pretty brutal. I ended up spending 1 minute just trying to get air back into my lungs at one point. I went pretty aggressively - my 3/4 mile (all treadmill, btw) was 5:55. My 1/2 mile was 3:55, and my 1/4 mile was about 1:37.

I'll definitely do this again. I dub this workout "Nasty Nate", not to be confused to the CrossFit hero "Nate" workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment