Thursday, December 3, 2009

Not much to report

Didn't make it to the gym today due to lack of time. Decided to do the frog stand tonight before bed as a somewhat workout (static hold/gymnastic). I hit the 1 minute mark unassisted (hands on ground)!

I must say, that for such a seemingly simple exercise, this takes a lot out of you. I could feel the burn in my shoulders, my arms and surprisingly enough, my abs. In fact, I felt it quite a bit in my abs, just as I was trying to stand back up after. I enjoy doing this skill - I'll still work on my time on this a bit more and then I will move into the next movement of the planche progression - the tuck planche, which is essentially the frog stand, except that rather than supporting your knees on your elbows, your knees will go up and tuck into your chest so that you are only supporting yourself on your hands. From my understanding, once I move on to this, I will be back down to perhaps a 1-2 second hold before failing. I'll probably work towards 90 seconds in the frog stand before moving on - hoping that 1 minute will seem like a breeze by then.

The full planche progression I am following goes like this:

Frog Stand (90 sec)
- hands on ground
- knees supported on elbows

Tuck Planche (60 sec)
- hands on ground
- knees to chest, supported only by hands/arms

Advanced Tuck Planche
- hands on ground
- back straightened so that hips are around shoulder hight
- knees tucked under to keep center of mass closer to hands

Straddle Planche
- hands on ground
- legs straight, but spread to a straddle position - moves center of gravity away from arms, requiring a more rigid entire body.

Tuck planche push-up & advanced tuck planche push-up
- self explanatory

Straddle planche push-up
- self explanatory

Planche
- hands on ground
- feet straight back behind you - hardest position.

No comments:

Post a Comment